Wednesday, March 15, 2006

To Marathon or Not To Marathon

I am starting to get geared up for summertime. This is probably because the weather just won't quite warm up. We are stuck in the lower 40's here in Chicago and doesn't look it will be getting any warmer than that for the next 10 days (according to weather.com). But with summertime comes marathon training time. Jason and I have been discussing whether or not to attempt to run the Chicago marathon again this year. The problem is that we have the shifts at the lab and our schedules will be totally thrown for a loop until at least the end of July. However, I have started looking at marathon training programs and I think it would be ok because for the particular plan I was looking at, 20 miles doesn't even happen until early September. My thinking then is that the craziness will be over and we could concentrate on running only.

I am also thinking that I will try and keep my base weekly milage up after the half marathon in May. If I could go into the training program feeling VERY comfortable with a 10 or 12 mile run then I think the weekly runs would take less out of me. I am looking at using Hal Higdon's Intermediate I or II marathon training program depending on how I feel as the time arrives. The only issue here is that my life this summer will be commuting, working and running....but I would get to run another marathon so maybe it's ok.....

We'll be heading to the track early this afternoon for 1/4 mile speed work.

6 comments:

jcerunner said...

So, weather is good or not in Chicago?? It's a joke. I hope you could manage to prepair your next marathon. Good luck!!

LeahC said...

I hope so too! especially considering the name of this blog :-)

Anonymous said...

The weather weighs heavily on the decision to go out running here in WA. Not too cold but wet, wet, wet...

Is that Higdon plan the run/walk thing ? I spoke to a guy in Boise when I did their marathon and he swears it is a good strategy.

LeahC said...

Hal Higdon has a LOT of information on his website http://halhigdon.com.

I'm not sure if he's the run/walk guy. There is a program by a guy named Jeff Galloway who who's program involves run/walking. Hal Higdon suggests walking when you get to an aid station. I didn't follow his program when I trained for Chicago last year, but during the marathon I ended up doing just that because it's crowded and when I didn't walk in the first station I ended up with gatorade all over myself.

I know that the people who run with Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA) follow Higdon's plan and I guess for beginners he has like a 95% finishing rate or something high like that. His website is great because he has training programs for ALL levels and instructions for each work out. I have been liking the 1/2 marathon triaining program so far.

Danny said...

I'm thinking of running Chicago this year. (When you're done, and you've gone home and showered, you can come back and cheer for me at the finish line!)

BTW, congrats and thanks for being the 7000th visitor on my site. I've stopped patting myself on the back for each landmark I pass (at least until 10,000!), but since I could tell who it was I thought I'd tell you.

LeahC said...

You should totally (!) run Chicago. it's a great marathon with tons and tons of spectators and it's really flat so no worries about hills.

Congrats on 7,000!