Saturday, April 07, 2007

Running as Transportation

This morning we ran with a purpose. Not the sort of "run with a purpose" where you just run really well. No, we literally ran with a purpose. The purpose was to get from our apartment to the train station, so we could take the train out to Wheaton to get our car.

No, the run was definitely not the figurative "run with a purpose." After a night out at the bar where the beers had a suprising kick (we're definitely out of drinking shape), neither of us felt much like running, especially at 9am. But, if we ran in the morning, we could get the car home early in time to watch the Cubs win, which they did. 6-3. The Cubs are now 3-2 which is a nice little start.

So we gutted it out and it ended up being fine. Happily, the wind was at our back. After running and then watching the Cubs, it was time to start my paper route. Awesome. Basically, I just picked up about 1500 papers and drove around to various bars and coffee shops and left papers for people to read. The Heckler is a free paper, so people can just pick it up and read it. We're about halfway done with the route, but we'll be done by the time the Cubs open at Wrigley.

If you happen to be in Chicago, grab a copy of The Heckler and look for my name. I've got two articles in the paper, my first official published pieces, although it's hardly shakespeare.

We couldn't finish the whole route since Leah had to get home to get ready for Girls Night Out, which is what she's doing right now, out with her friend Becky. I'm having tired and cold guy's night in, as our apartment is freezing (in April, mine you) and I'm pretty much exhausted from a busy week. Yep, I'm a wild and crazy guy.

Okay, enough rambling. Go Cubs.

4 comments:

Bridgette said...

How fun! I always wanted to be a writer. Ig uess the next best thing is to know one!

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

I like the Heckler, though I can't generally find it up where I live.  Do you know if there are any drop-off spots in Uptown or Andersonville?

Congrats on getting published, Jason.  Between writing for and delivering the Heckler, and writing for GROTA, you've got a whole lot of journalism going on.

Susanne said...

That's awesome, Jason! You should send us a copy!

MNFirefly said...

That's awesome, Jason!! A huge congrads to you!