Sunday, June 04, 2006

Weekly Long Run

Today we went 12 miles and I would say felt "ok" for it. Not great, not bad....just, well, just "just" I guess. I don't know what the problem was, maybe it was being too cocky after our 9 miles on Thursday which went beautifully (I mean really 12 miles is just another 3, it can't be too hard right?) It was pretty warm out though and REAL sunny so that could have slowed us down a bit. In all actuality it didn't really slow us down for what we are suppose to be running for these longer runs...but I had NOTHING in my legs for the last 5 miles...which quickly brings me to...

Do any of you use Gu, Clif Bloks, Sports Beans? If so what flavors do you like? Last summer Jason and I did all of our long runs in the early Sunday morning hours and Fleet Feet had free gatorade stands out along the lake front path so we didn't need to carry anything with us. With our schedule being the way it's going to be for the next month and a half we have to run when the time allows us to run so we won't necessarily be there when Fleet Feet is there. I think you eventually run out of gas only taking in water so it's probably time to start exploring these guys.

We finished the run averaging 9:18 miles. This is almost bang on to what we are supposed to be doing for long runs. I read somewhere in Advanced Marathoning that your long runs shouldn't be too slow, I think it said you should be somewhere between 10-20% slower than you goal marathon pace.....uh oh here comes some math....

Goal Marathon Pace = 8:15 (495 seconds)
Fastest (10% slower than MP) = 495 *0.1 = 49.5s -->8:15+0:49.5 = 9:04.5 min/miles

Slowest (20% slower than MP) = 495 *0.2 = 99.0s -->8:15+1:39 = 9:54 min/miles


So we were exaclty in the range that we wanted to be in, pacing closer towards the faster suggested pace which is nice. I'm actually happy about this and have to remember that all runs don't (AND SHOULDN'T) be done at 8:30 miles...that would defeat the purpose of different workouts for different days. We did have one bad mile with a longer water stop and a bit of walking to get our legs back to wanting to work and ended up finishing strong with Mile 11 in 8:57 and Mile 12 in 8:35 (see the above splits for the full brekdown)

I also think I might have been slightly dehydrated because when we finished I drank water for about 2 minutes without stopping. We got home and did the ice bath thing. It was good again, but I could NOT warm up afterwards. I stood in the hot shower for what felt like forever and was still shivering when I was done. Bad circulation perhaps? Oh well..it'll feel really good on those 110 degree days on my 3rd floor, non-airconditioned apartment.

7 comments:

Theoutofshapeguy said...

Okay...first of all...you guys don't have a/c? Are you kidding me?? We're a/c whores over here. If EVER you need to cool off on a hot day, you've got an open invitation to cold beer at our place. Seriously. I lived w/o a/c one summer up in Evanston and ended up in the hospital from heat exhaustion...which is how Mike and I got together, but that's a different story.

As for the fuel feeders...I love my Orange Burst Gu (Tangerine with caff. is good, too). I've yet to find a PowerGel PowerShot I can tolerate. As for Clif Bloks, both the Strawberry and Craz-Razz are quite yummy. Sport Beans are a bit tart in my opinion and I can't' get over the fact they're Jelly Belly's. Last year I stuck with Gu, but think the Bloks will be utilized more this go around. Hope you find something that works.

ps...this is Barb posting under Mike's name...oops!

LeahC said...

thanks for the offer barb! we might take you up on that!

Scott said...

Leah-
More math, more math...love it!
DAd

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Congratulations on your successful long run.  Your continued discipline, dispite your hectic schedules, is a personal inspiration to me.

I've been working my way through many of the gooey stuff in the plastic envelopes and so far I'm finding they all taste the same, at least to me.

Next time you post data from your long run you should include a map in addition to your stats.  It's always fun to see where people run.  (Rhyming unintentional)

LeahC said...

thanks josh!

Triseverance said...

I am new to the gu as well, took my first, orange burst, on Saturdays run, I liked it but needed to go to the fuel belt for a swig of water to wash it down.

Nice run you guys and I feel your pain. I have been trying to buy into the run smart thing, I am getting there but still battle that little devil on my shoulder that says "you little panzi ass, work harder, go faster" Great job on the twelve and for the record two weeks ago when I did twelve 11 and 12 I was wiped, I could not have run the splits you guys did, no way no how.

No A/C!!! awwwww man I really feel for you guys, seriously that is rough. Stay cool. Cold showers feel good after long runs too, as an alternative to an ice bath. Ya know maybe after one of those Pfitz 17 mile "medium" long runs. hahahahaha why that mother fu#*$&.....

Joe said...

I've been using Power Bar Gel (and similar products) on my last few long runs and I believe it has made a difference. I don't die on the last few miles now. Give it a try.