Thursday, September 21, 2006

Comcast, The Last 4 Miles and Furniture

oooooh I am livid. We had an outage all day yesterday and we just got all of our services hooked up on Monday. Not looking good for Comcast so far. I love when you call these places and they say, "Well we just know there is an outage, but we don't know what it is or when it will be turned back on" I let loose on the third lady that I talked to and actually I have to hand it to them they did give me a three day credit and told me the outage would be over at 10pm. When everything was still broken at midnight we called back. "Oh yes the outage is still happening and we don't know when it will be fixed....". When we woke up this morning and everything is still not working we call again, "Oh there is no outage now so there must be another problem so we'll send out a tech guy. But just so you know if it's not a problem with the cable we are going to charge you" They are going to see a nasty Leah runner who works from home if they charge me for anything! I guess the woman gave us another credit this morning. Grumble. Grumble. Grumble. If I miss the Grey's Anatomy premier this evening because I can't DVR it I am going to go balistic.

Alright then.

Right the 11 miles yesterday went well. We did it much slower this time coming in at about 9:30 min/mile pace.

While we were running I rememberd something that helped me get through the end of the marathon last year and I thought I would share. Last summer at the end of any run we did when there was 4 miles left I would stop talking to Jason and focus in on the distace that was left. 4 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile, finish. This was beyond beneficial on marathon day because when I got to 22 miles I had a surge of energy because I knew that distance. I knew exactly how much farther I had to go and I knew that I could get through 4 miles because no matter how bad I had felt during my training runs, I powered through the last 4 miles. I will start to do this again, concentrating on that exact distance. We did that last night and our last four miles were 9:05, 8:50, 8:45 and 8:41. Just a tip that helped me last year.

The rest of the week is 4 miles on Friday, 8-15K race (we aren't racing but we will run as if we were) and then 17 on Sunday. The only hitch in this plan is that we are moving all of our heavy furniture on Saturday so I am hoping that Sunday's run will go alright. We should have some help though and we are doing it in one big move instead of many many trips. I am convinced that our furniture is not going to fit into our new apartment although Jason promises me it will.....(but I have measured......I don't think so) Doors will come off, windows will come out. Dammit I am going to have a couch to sit on. If anyone is not busy on Saturday and wants to lift furniture (I know I know there isn't much else one would want to do) let me know....there will be free beer for helpers :-)

4 comments:

ShoreTurtle said...

A friend of mine calls that company, comcrapstic. It's catchy.

I did the miles countdown thing during my half-marathon last Sunday. It helped. It's empowering to think, "I can do this!"

Haight said...

I did the same thing when getting close to finishing a race. For a 1/2M at the 10mi mark I would say, 'only a 5K left, that's nothing. And the same with the marathon, at the 20mi mark I said 'only a 10k left'.

Sometimes we need those little mind games to avert us from the excruciating sadistic pain we are putting our bodies through...lol

MNFirefly said...

You had the SAME damn problem that I had with the electric company on Monday. UGHHHHHHHHHH!

Good job on the running. I wish I waited to run and used to get the anger out instead of waiting for the next day.

Josh Dysart said...

Cable companies drive me crazy. they're all the same too, which makes it that much worse. Great job on the run; I like that idea and may have to try it tomorrow on my second 20 miler.