Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Remembering How To Lactate

I have been worried that we aren't quite ready for the Pfitz training plan. We are getting all the miles in that we need to, but all the runs have been around the same speed and the long runs aren't quite long enough. So, we decided to turn our regularly schedule 5 miles into a 5 mile Lactate Threshold run last night.

The orignal plan was to do 5 miles with the middle mile at an LT pace and then rest at a nice easy pace. We decided to change that up and do miles 3 and 4 at an LT pace and keep the other three the same. The first LT run on the Pfitz schedule has us doing 4 miles at the fast pace and I dont' want to be too shocked when that comes down. Our miles were as follows :
  1. 8:37
  2. 8:20
  3. 7:15 (LT mile 1)
  4. 7:45 (LT mile 2)
  5. 9:21
So, our first LT mile was a bit on the fast side. I want to have these miles all be around 7:30 and 7:15 was just too fast. I had a bit of a stomach ache for mile 4, but was able to keep up with the pace anyways. So the two LT miles averaged out to a cool 7:30. McMillian has us in the range of 7:28-7:47 for these runs so that second LT mile was just on the edge of being too slow and the first LT mile was way off the mark. I am glad to be doing some of these before the official ones start so I'll have a better feel for the pace and would have gotten a few under my belt.

A BIG congrats to Barb who did her very first LT run with us last night. Her goal LT pace was 10:25-10:58 and came in at a 9:20. She did her last mile in 11 minutes so she got in two LT miles as well. I think if she slows down that 9:20 to a 10:30 or so she will have no problem doing multiple LT miles during a run.

We are going to flip our schedule a bit for the rest of the week. I had originally planned on 7 tonight, 6 tomorrow, 4 on Saturday and 9 on Sunday. In order to have this be more on plan with Pfitz I am giong to make today a recovery, increase tomorrow's run and increase Sunday's run. So, it will be 4 recovery tonight, 8 tomorrow, 4 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. This puts us at 31 miles for the week.

In fun news....I got a pair of capri pants when I went on my trip to Florida...and they were a little on the snug side. I don't own a scale and tend to judge things by how my pants fit.....I put them on this morning....and they were a little loose. Yeah to loose pants!

We rode our bikes to the train this morning. It only took us 20 minutes, and a nice way to start the morning. We are going to be sticking to this instead of walking as it's a huge time saver and much much easier on the legs.

Alright then. Happy Wednesday all.

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

So I know what lactate means in a running context, but when I saw that title I thought something totally different. Funny.

MNFirefly said...

I need to bring my helmet from Minneapolis before I can ride my bike. Safety FIRST!

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Wow, you guys really burned rubber on mile 3!  Keep that up and your BQ is only a matter of time.

By the way, for the very first time you and Jason are both reading books that I also recently enjoyed.  Let me know if you want the second Persepolis book--you can borrow mine.

I miss bumping into you guys at Ogilvie since I started my early morning Batman hours.

Thomas said...

Nice effort, and congratulations on the loose pants. Didn't that just make your day?

Undrunk Panda said...

Hooray for loose pants!

I HATE lactate runs. Blech.