Thursday, February 21, 2008

Another Sick, Tempo & Ice Cold

So Jason is uber sick. I went to pick him up after my run at the gym around 10:30. He went to bed and woke up and got out of bed at about 4pm. Then he went back to bed around 7pm (took some Nyquil) and woke up with the alarm at 6:15 this morning. He debated going into work today but realized he didn't feel any better and so is now back in bed....probably just about asleep. This sounds similar to whatever The Lovely Cousin Lisa recently had as when I talked to her on Monday she said she basically slept through the weekend.

SO we are hoping that he's back to the fun lovin' guy we know some time soon.

Yesterday I went to the gym around 9:15 and it was *great*. It was just about empty which was nice. There was a 30 minute tempo run on the schedule. Higdon describes this as a 10 min warm up, speeding up for about 15 minutes then cooling down for the last 5. He mentions that your top speed should be about 2/3 of the way through the work out. As much as I loathe running on the treadmill I have to say for this workout it was nice. This is how I broke it down :

Minutes 0-5 : 9:31 min/mile
Minutes 5-10 : 9:05 min/mile
Minutes 10-13 : 8:12 min/mile
Minutes 13-16 : 7:47 min/mile
Minutes 16-19 : 7:30 min/mile
Minutes 19-22 : 7:03 min/mile
Minutes 22-25 : 7:30 min/mile
Minutes 25-30 : 9:05 min/mile

So you can see the first 10 minutes and last 5 minutes are cool down times, then between 19-22 minutes (20 minutes is 2/3 of the way through) I pushed it to 7:03. I felt great on this workout and it was probably the first time I have run fast since marathon training. Yes, I realize this would have been better done outdoors because it's obviously much harder to keep speed up when you don't have a moving belt helping you BUT with the temperatures I wanted a quality workout and not having a my top speed be 9:00 min/mile because I couldn't feel my toes during the run.

So yes we are still icey here in Chicago and to make matters even more exciting we lost our hot water last night. I thought maybe a miracle would occur and we would wake up this morning to things working but no such luck. I mean this isn't just luke warm, but rather Ice ice ice cold. So lucky me gets to call the rental people in an hour or so. I wonder if they are competent enough to fix this before noon today.

Today is just 3 miles and strength which I will do at the gym. I think I might take shower stuff so I can shower at the gym since they will probably have hot water there and who knows when this apartment will be up to snuff.

2 comments:

lifestudent said...

My hubby had the same thing - actually came home from work early ... two days in a row. From the day I met him (about a billion years ago) he has never once done this - so he felt pretty crappy :)

MNFirefly said...

I hope Jason feels better soon.

AWESOME splits!!