Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Choosing Safety

Today I should have gone into the lab. There is a conference happening there where my analysis is going to be presented by a friend of mine. I wanted to be there in case there were any questions specific to my analysis, and my adviser suggested that I head in for the same reasons. However, with the ice storm warning and the look of traffic this morning I chose to stay in the city and out of my car. I am worried that it's going to be one of those things where there is more talk about it being bad than it really being bad. I don't think it's going to be so bad in the city itself, but it did look really bad in the western suburbs and I didn't want to chance it. Driving on ice is the most dangerous time to be in a car. So I'm in the city. I feel bad, but at least I feel safe and not slippery.

Yesterday I went for a 5 mile run in the neighborhood. There weren't too many problems and as always with slushy running, a nice full body workout since half the effort goes to not falling down. I did a lot of the miles in the bike lane in the streets (running against the traffic like you are supposed to do) where it was fully plowed. I also played volleyball last night, and while our team did better is the second and third games we still lost all three. Ah well, it's still cross training.

Alright. And it's Tuesday.

No comments: