Thursday, December 21, 2006

Oh Cookies...

Yesterday brought a busy day full of finding camera battery chargers, getting an eyebrow wax, getting a hair cut (see pic on right for cuteness factor of a million), and then of course...making the cookies. I have 8 types of cookies that I want to make for the year and last night I was able to get through 6 of them. I don't know how the magic cookie bars worked out....but I don't think the answer to that is good. The rest of them however look amazing. I ended up with 4 metal tins and 3 tupperware containers. Tonight I'm going to do the thumbprints (which are my absolute favorites) and then it's looking like I am going to make these creasant type cookies with my aunt when we invade her house Friday afternoon/evening for a Christmas movie night. So, look out Jason's family cause the cookies are going to end up eating you :-)

Even though I was up till 1:30am (and got up at 5:30am) I am so excited to be doing this. My mom always makes tons of Christmas cookies and this is the first year that I won't be seeing her for the holidays which I am a bit sad about. Obviously making cookies does not get me to her house, but it's been fun talking to her via the phone about what I am doing wrong, or right or new ideas or whatever. I would love to take on the mega cookie tradition with my future kids and so hopefully this is year one of that. I know Jason will probably divorce me if I don't make the freakin' sugar cookies next year so I'm sure he'll make sure I stay on it.










One of the funnest (I know this isn't a word, but I think it should be) types are these playdoh cookies, which actually would have been more fun to make with the kids since the dough looks like playdoh and then you add food coloring after you divide the dough, and then you put the pieces together ...like playdoh...don't say playdoh...playdoh. I keep getting the bottoms of these a little too brown, but c'est la vie...I guess they will just be a little crunchier.

We have 11 miles on the schedule for tonight. But as I stand right now, I'm so tired that my eye sockets hurt. SO, I think we just have one meeting tomorrow morning and then we are going to do it at the lab around 11am. Then it can be a quality run and not just dragging our bodies through it, "cause the schedule says so". Speaking of running schedules on Christmas Eve...I don't know what to do here. We have a 15 mile run planed, but on Saturday night ALL of Jason's family will be there. I am planning on an evening of gaming (Apples to Apples=THE MOST FUN GAME EVER) and I'm *guesssing* some drinking. I don't know if I want to be all, "I have to go to bed cause I am running tomorrow" when I haven't seen these people for a long time. I am just going to play it by ear, I know that this marathon will probably not be as good as Chicago just because training in the winter can suck. I am doing it for fun and just more practice at the distance. SO with that said...we'll just see how it goes. Plus I might be so full of cookies that I won't be able to pick one leg up after the other.

12 comments:

Bridgette said...

I had great intentions of doing the cut out cookies that my grandma makes every year (except this & last year because her arthritis is so bad). But, my time has run out! I envy you & your cookie wonderfulness! :)

I wish my family played games...sigh.

Joe said...

> getting an eyebrow wax

When I read that I said to myself "Oh dear God, please let me find out at the end of this post that this is a Leah post and not a Jason post".

> My mom always makes tons of
> Christmas cookies and this is
> the first year that I won't be
> seeing her for the holidays

The first year I didn't go home for Christmas, I was initially sad but I soon discovered that it was kind of fun starting a new tradition and putting your own signature on it. I still love going home for Christmas but I also like having our own Christmas every other year.

Kristi said...

Yep, blogger beta sucks. I just had my whole response typed out and it tried to make me sign in in beta, thereby deleting my comment. Bastards.
My original comment was going to say that 1. Those cookies look scrumptious. 2. Your haircut is adorable. 3. I love Apples to Apples, we always have a blast with this game. And 4. Could you switch your long run to Saturday morning? That way you're done with it before you get your drink on on Saturday night.

LeahC said...

We are moving our 11 mile run to tomorrow, so I'm not confident about doing two long runs back to back. AND we will be leaving late morning and packing and yadda yadda in the morning so I don't know if I want to shove 15 miles in there. We'll just have to see.

yes the cookies are flippin' delish!

MNFirefly said...

Leah, it's good that you tweeking the schedule so you can get the 11 miler done tommorow. Your haircut looks really cute. The cookies look VERY yummy!

Michele said...

You hair looks great.

Now I am going to google that recipe for playdough cookies. I think Santa would really like them. I don't cook so it will be going out on a limb for me. Santa always gets slice and bake.

Good luck getting all your runs in. what a crazy time of year.

Scott said...

Leah-
The cookies look yummy. . . you look cute too!

DAd

Theoutofshapeguy said...

H-O-T-T-I-E

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

I agree with everything commented so far:

Beta blogger sucks.

Those cookies look yummy.

You new haircut is HOTTTT!

Anonymous said...

Cute hair and yummy looking cookies.

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

I keep coming back to your blog looking for new posts, but instead that cookie photo is making me so hungry!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I love, love, love the haircut!!!

And I've gotta find the recipe for those cookies - my boys would love that!! I hope it's not complicated, though....because I haven't done complicated recipes since I went back to work (3 years ago).