Monday, July 02, 2007

Well, I haven't posted in awhile...which means of course lots to update!

I found out that my 'Not A Number' errors made sense because I was looking at doing my systematic check on the wrong sample. So great news being that I don't have some giant error in my code which I always think I do. I don't know if that feeling will ever go away...I suppose once you preform all the checks and your analysis still works you would gain a bit more confidence.

The night before I found out that friends of our family had extra tickets to the Cubs game at 1:20, so with my new found knowledge that I was still a physics rockstar Jason and I headed downtown. Jason had an appointment at a bank downtown with some old physics kids from Fermilab so I ran down to State Street from Ogilvie Station, jumped onto the Red line and headed to the old ballpark. I met our friends outside and headed our seats...which were row 1 behind the visiting team's bullpen. Like I could have ear flicked the players in front of me....which rocked.

I was so excited about this game since the Brewers lead the cubs in the NL Central and we had just had a 6 game winning streak so it was time to make some ground up. AND Rich Hill was pitching who I love. Well.....he ended up having a rough day, giving up 5 runs in the top of the first, which we all know can be trouble for the cubs. Usually they will do nothing then for the rest of the game putting the fans into a deep sleep. That day though, they got a run here and two runs there and suddenly going into the bottom of the 9th we were looking at a 5-3 ball game (kudos to the bullpen for keeping the Brewers to just those 5 runs). The cubs got one runner in and then Aramis Ramirez comes up with 2 outs and a man on first.....and then BOOM CHACALACA!!!! THAT BALL'S OUTTA HERE!!!!! I have never seen Wrigley go that crazy. They must have put Go Cubs Go by Steve Goodman on repeat. Everyone was dancing and cheering and going crazy. We stayed probably an extra 15 minutes cheering for our Boys in Blue. I felt *kinda* bad for the 4 Brewers fans sitting next to us......well not that bad.

After the game I headed back downtown to meet Jason and we headed to the Taste for dinner. Jason and I splitted a bunch of taste portions (really loved the Italian French frys wherever those were from). After filling our tummies up it was back on the red line to Chicago Ave, hopped on the bus and back home in no time. We are pretty excited because we just ordered new Chicago Plus Cards so we don't have to have cash on us anymore and get a slightly cheaper ride on the CTA.

We slept in a bit after the hectic days we had been having. We needed to go get our car and so we did our 4 mile recovery run to the train station downtown. This time was fun because I wanted to finish my book and since it was just a light paper back...I carried it with me. Runners who Read....Reading Runners....I am guessing we looked pretty silly running with books in our hands.

We got our car and jetted home, I made some cookies quickly and then it was off to Kay and Gary's house for some bbq and some dominos. Fun afternoon there.

Nothing too more exciting happened on Saturday....just came home and relaxed and set that alarm for 5am sunday morning.

The day of running long. whooooooo. We had 15 miles on the schedule this week. We got up around 5:15, and did our usual morning routine, 1/2 cup of coffee, 2 piece of toast with PB, read running blogs to get motivated to go, bathroom, change...and we are out the door by 6am.

As usual with the long runs....feeling fantastic! I had to stop myself (and the watch) for an emergency bathroom break between miles 7 and 8. I'm not thrilled about stopping but there wasn't going to be another choice and I wouldn't have made it another hour. So did the bathroom thing and then sucked down a Gu and continued on our way. 15 miles feels much more like a long run distance and thus was treated that way. We stopped again at the North Avenue Beach for Gatorade provided by Fleet Feet (THANKS!!!!) walked a little bit and then continued on. Before we knew it we were back at Chicago Avenue with less than 4 miles to go. Bumped up the pace again for the last three miles, with the last two around our Marathon Race Pace. The rest of the miles were nicely within the boundries we have set for ourselves for long run paces. I know I just want the picture :

After the run and hanging out with Evin for a few minutes we decided to head to Bite to grab some food. For the first time on a Sunday I was starving and needed some kind of big meal. It wasn't as crowded as we thought it was going to be and so go table right away. An omlette and a chorizo scramble later and we were back home....just in time for Nap Time :-)

We both took some shuteye and then watched the end of the Cubs game....and the cubs take 2/3 from the Brew Crew. GO CUBS!!!

After the game we headed to Target for a new DVD player as ours had frozen and the only way to fix it was to re-sotter something at which point we we'll just get a new one. We spent the rest of the day reading and watching movies and being wonderfully lazy.

We are working at home today as it's the holiday week. Tomorrow it's an LT.... 9 with 4. Which I'm saying is going to go swimmingly.

Alright. Long wrap up...Happy Monday all!


Bob said...

Keep up the good work Leah, I see a BQ in your future but not a division title for the Cubs (Sorry). It is Brewer Fever around here right now. Friday's game must have been a lot of fun for you.

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Good job on the 15.  It would sure be something if you got your BQ the same year the Cubs win the World Series.

Just keep running fast and hope Zambrano doesn't choke.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend.
Go Cubs! And, awesome job on the 15.

Firefly's Running said...

I love my Chicago Plus Card! It's SO awesome especially I use the all-I-can-ride-until-I-am-sick-of-the-CTA card. :D

Great job on the run this weekend.

Cuckoo said...

That's too funny that you ran with your books on Saturday! You are quite the dedicated Reader and Runner.

I think we saw you on the lakefront on Sunday just a little South of North Avenue. I was headed north on the path and that area is right around the time that I reach 4 miles, so I'm guesstimating it was around 7:25am or so? Could that have been you???

Have fun with the 9 miles tomorrow!

Josh said...

Great job on the 15! And those sound like great seats for the game on Friday. Sounds like a fun-filled weekend.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this week!