Friday, February 02, 2007

A Speedy Six

Yesterday was a repeat of last week's six mile run, the run that ended with a fast last mile and a great overall pace. Could we match it? Could we beat it? What would Urlacher do?

Speaking of Da Bears, the well documented Bear madness is about to hit its peak as
Superbowl weekend approaches and a city beaten down by a bitter February gratefully welcomes a reason to cheer (and stay inside in front of a TV). I've never been in a city around Championship time, aside from Bloomington when The Hoosiers made the Final Four. Chicago, however, is not Bloomington and the Superbowl is the Superbowl. If the Bears win, get ready for some celebrating.

And that's what Leah's been saying all week: "I just want to see you be sad if the Bears win and the bar's going crazy." And she's right, I can't see myself being sad in that case. And frankly, I don't want to see Chicago be sad just for the sake of my original team. I don't know, maybe I'm a bandwagonner. Maybe I'm not a loyal fan. Maybe I'm actually not real but rather just a figment of someone else's imagination, a dream inside someone's head (I kind of hope it's not that last one). But whatever the case, I can't root for the Bears to lose. I just can't.

Okay, but what about the Colts. I can't root for them to lose either, right? So can I root for the Bears to win but not root *against* the Colts? Hard to say, but I think that's what's going to happen. I'm a Chicagoan now and have been for a few years now. I identify myself with Chicago more than Indiana (for obvious reasons) and so I won't be rooting against my home team. But I won't be rooting against the Colts either. Make sense? Yeah, I don't think so either.

What was I talking about before? Ah yes, the run. It went well, I think. We started out with a 9:07 first mile and then the rest were somewhere under 9 with a nice 7:46 last mile...for Leah, I crapped out towards the end. Ran out of breath and so I had to finish the last 1/4-1/2 mile at a more moderate pace (to prevent the dying). What can I say, I'm no Urlacher.

But man, that cold. Technically, it was supposed to be warmer last night (26 instead of 19, I think) but it felt pretty damn cold to me. It seems that the cold really kicks our collective asses when it gets down to those kind of temperatures, especially with a little wind. So we were both spent and were asleep by nine [insert time that doesn't make us look like losers]. Thankfully, as the weather drops into the single digits this weekend, we have an excuse not to run outside like idiots.

Who needs a healthy lifestyle when you've got Da Bears. BRING ON THE OLDSTYLE!!

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Oh my, Jason! You are in a tight bind. Do what will make YOU happy. I am hoping Peyton pulls through(SORRY Bear fans! Pfffft!)during the game. He DA MAN!

Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Jason, any speed you can run in this horrible weather is good.  Keep those miles coming and forget about split times.

The Chicago Marathon is still 8 months away.

Go Bears!

Bridgette said...

Ahem - GO COLTS!! Did you cheer?